Many features in your Nokia Lumia phone increase the demand on battery power and reduce the battery life time. To save battery power, note the following:
- When you have finished with an application or a game to navigate away, please use the Back key as this will close the app rather than leaving it active in the background.
- Set the screen switch off after 30 seconds. On the start screen, swipe left, and select Settings > Lock+wallpaper (lock screen) > Screen times out.
- Reduce the screen brightness.
The power consumption of a display is mostly linked to brightness—the brighter the display, the more power consumed. However, when brightness is reduced, it has the side effect of decreasing the viewability of the display, especially in non-ideal viewing conditions.
Select Settings > brightness > Level. Disable the automatic feature first. The brightness level also affects the Automatically adjust functionality.
- Use network connections selectively. For example, if the signal strength of the mobile network varies much in your area, your phone must scan for the available network repeatedly. This increases the demand on battery power. If the H+ / 3G connection is on in the mobile network settings, your phone searches for the fastest network (H+ / 3G). To switch off the H+ / 3G connection, select Settings > mobile network, and deactivate the H+ / 3G connection.
- Switch Bluetooth on only when you need it. Select Settings > Bluetooth.
- Use a WiFi connection to connect to the internet, rather than a mobile data (GPRS or H+ / 3G) connection. Stop your phone scanning for available Wi-Fi networks if those are not available. Select Settings > WiFi > Off.
- When you are finished taking a picture, press the Back key to exit the camera viewfinder.
- Reduce the frequency of email synchronization. Select Settings > email+accounts > YourEmail > Download new content.
- Switch off location services if not needed – so the phone will not look up your location frequently in the background. Select Settings > location > Off.
- Disable unnecessary background applications. Especially Lumia 810, 820, 822 and 920/5 users; please check that Nokia Drive+ Beta app is blocked (set to Off) in background tasks. On the start screen, swipe left, and select Settings, from settings swipe left to Applications tab > Background tasks.
- Avoid use of loudspeaker, prefer use of wired headphones, .
- Switch off unwanted sounds and functions, for example keystroke, email, Vibrate, etc. Select Settings > ringtones+sounds.
- Switch off “connect with Xbox LIVE” when not needed. Select Xbox LIVE > Settings > Connect with Xbox LIVE.
- Ensure your phone’s battery is fully charged. Check Settings > battery saver > battery information. Note that older chargers may not fully charge the battery. (Note 1)
- Leaving NFC switched on will also drain the battery. Go to Settings > Tap + Send and move the slider to the off position.
- As the last option turn on Battery Saver. Select Settings > battery saver. Note when Battery Saver is on, your phone will no longer: automatically receive email and calendar updates, update some Live Tiles and allow apps to run in the background.
Note 1: It is recommended to use the original charger found in the sales package to charge the battery of your phone.
Note 2: Make sure that your phone is running the latest software to get battery related improvements.
If the battery drains faster even there is no active feature or applications, try to switch Off the power and then switch back On.